Friday, September 08, 2006

Images of Mathematicians on Postage Stamps - New Dawn Fades

This was a little bit of a break from the norm, we tried experiementing with lighting, I wanted to get the shadows or me and Robbie against the wall to look like there were four of us, but it didn't quite work, it still looks a little more eye-catching than other webcasts up until Scunner came along. Also out stance in the video, I wanted the keyboards to line up better than they did so visually it would look more arty, its cos of this that we didn't bother doing the usual introduction, just hit record and started.

The song was a kind of new one to me. Like I'd heard the Joy Division version many times, but when Robbie handed me the keyboard and told me just to keep playing the same loop all through, it took me a while to get it. And even then I couldn't play the song. I thought it was the Anton Corbjin one with the wee dudes in robes.

I think it took two takes to get right, and even then we didn't have much of a plan for the end of the song.

Images of Mathematicians on Postage Stamps started as just a cool band name, then Robbie started messing about with his Mac, I started creating spoof song titles over on AudioScrobbler and months later Robbie actually wrote the songs. Our first gig was back in January, Robbie had got the call from the Winchester Club that they needed a band, so he put it together. We had a trial run at the Tchai Ovna on a Thursday night, then our first proper gig two nights later in front of possibly a sell out audience at the Woodside Social Club.

The Last Night From Glasgow webcasts were the third ever live performance. The fourth is going to be at a birthday party, some nine months after the first.